Today I traveled up to Lop Buri, a city about 3 hours north of Bangkok. The American Womens' Club offered a trip to see the sunflower fields. This sounded like a must see. Sunflowers -- Thais call them Thantawan -- grow in central, northern and northeastern Thailand each year, from November through January (with the best time being late November).

The fields around Lop Buri are filled with bright yellow sunflowers. These are commercial crops raised for producing seeds and oil, yet they have become something of a tourist attraction. This isn't mentioned in most guide books. The large fields or yellow and green flowers set against the surrounding steep limestone hills are quite striking.
Next we went up to a Wat overlooking the sunflower fields valley, but you could not see the sunflowers from this point.
I have heard you need to try the local cuisine anytime you visit a foreign country, so I figured it was time to try something from the bug cart. So I ate a fried grub worm and it tasted like a french fry. I even had a second one. We took a tractor pull out across the Topasak Dam and saw the Buddha on the otherside of the lake. It sat upon a very large pink lotus flower.

Our final stop was at the Phra Prang Sam Yot. This is a 18th Buddhist Century temple that is overtaken by monkeys, by the hundreds!!! They must multiply like rabbits.

No comments:
Post a Comment