With it's large, distinctive thorny husk and fragrant smell, Durian fruit is known in Asia as the "King of Fruits". The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Regarded by some as fragrant, others as overpowering and offensive, the smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia. This I found out after trying to board the MRT(subway). The attendant would not let Lisa and I board. So Lisa whisked us away to a taxi. As soon the taxi driver noticed the fruit he took it and closed it into his glove box stating "It stinks."
I had heard roamers but I never smelled anything foul, so what was all the commotion about? I sampled a little piece before buying it. It has a sweet nutty taste to it. I actually like the taste. Many people say it taste good if you can get over the smell.
Lisa and I got out of the taxi and headed to the BTS (sky train). We were going opposite directions and it was the most central stop. I placed the fruit into my bag so that there was no stopping us this leg of the trip. We said our goodbyes and I boarded the next train. With in minutes of boarding the train one lady moved to the other end of the car. People were staring around to see who was the offender. I took a seat and smelled a odour. It smells really bad. I was enclosed in a train car with it right under my nose. I may as well have not showered for weeks. The smell made me so self conscious the rest of the way home.
I bumped into my neighbor upon returning home and shared with them. They reported back it tasted like a banana and a sweet onion mixed. They also confirmed the smell.
I had heard roamers but I never smelled anything foul, so what was all the commotion about? I sampled a little piece before buying it. It has a sweet nutty taste to it. I actually like the taste. Many people say it taste good if you can get over the smell.
Lisa and I got out of the taxi and headed to the BTS (sky train). We were going opposite directions and it was the most central stop. I placed the fruit into my bag so that there was no stopping us this leg of the trip. We said our goodbyes and I boarded the next train. With in minutes of boarding the train one lady moved to the other end of the car. People were staring around to see who was the offender. I took a seat and smelled a odour. It smells really bad. I was enclosed in a train car with it right under my nose. I may as well have not showered for weeks. The smell made me so self conscious the rest of the way home.
I bumped into my neighbor upon returning home and shared with them. They reported back it tasted like a banana and a sweet onion mixed. They also confirmed the smell.
1 comment:
So, who's Lisa? And couldn't you smell the husk when you purchased the fruit? Might take some tupperware with you next time to bring it home in. How embarrassing to be on one side of the train with everyone sitting so far away. Was Bryce with you too? Maybe it was a diaper??
Post a Comment